Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A Memorable List




I feel as if I'm bursting at the seams with inspiration and words after spending eight days on vacation. Elk camp to be exact.



I'm not really sure where to begin so I will simply make a list of my memorable and thankful moments from elk camp 2013. And since I'm a list maker this should be easy.... so here we go!


  1. Quiet space. Margin. Time to pause.
  2. The smell of a campfire.
  3. Coyotes howling at 2 am
  4. Waking up to see your own breathe.
  5. Sleeping in long underwear, wool socks and a beanie (see number 4)
  6. Walking through the woods side by side with my husband. 
  7. Laughing over the silly ridiculous things (because of that extra margin)
  8. No time schedule other than shooting light.
  9. Coffee with grounds in it.
  10. Playing spades for the first time and getting my butt handed to me.
  11. Sitting on a stump, listening, praying, waiting.
  12. Hearing my little mans voice on the phone hundreds of miles away.
  13. Duct tape when the soles give out on my favorite boots.
  14. Warming my cold feet and hands on a wood stove. 

  15. Feeling hunger from a hard earned hike. 
  16. Listening to Bob's stories.
  17. Praying my daily prayer as I walk on the frosty ground in the morning light.
  18. Seeing the sunrise from the top of the world. 
  19. An owl in a tree.
  20. Grandparents willing to watch a four year old for 8 days.
  21. Friends pet/house sitting.
  22. Understanding and tenderness from my husband on the days I just couldn't be tough.
  23. Standing in the dark for hours waiting for shooting light.
  24. Hearing cows and bulls talk to each other on every side of the tree I leaned against.
  25. Birthday pancakes and surprise presents on my air mattress after the morning hunt. 
  26. A day late celebration with my folks and little sis at DQ on our way home.


My heart is filled with something that only space can fill.


I know for some of you staying in a tent for a week and tromping around the woods isn't your cup of tea.
I'll be the first to admit I'm a little strange. A canvas tent and fresh air is just what I needed.
It amazes me how God knows exactly what speaks to Mike and I.  What we needed to come together as a couple, united and connected.
I can still smell the musty smoky smell of our gear in the garage and it reminds me of what was built last week. Relationships, memories and a full heart.

PS- We didn't get an Elk, but as you can tell that's ok. Still had a great trip!






3 comments:

  1. So happy for you to be able to Reconnect and Soothe your Soul.Such beautiful Photos and great Memories to hold for a lifetime.I was at my happiest when I was always out doing anything in the great outdoors.It gives you such a sense of inner Peace I believe.
    I am sure Rogan had a blast as well and it gave you a Mommy break which in return makes us all better Mommy's to not get lost in the shuffle.
    What better way to spend your Birthday !!! ~Cheers to a Good Life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could camp in a tent house as this one, I would so camp more often then not!
    Of course it would be decked out with some comforts of home :)

    What a peaceful place to gather, to inspire life, to soulfully take in what God has created.
    Love your photos.

    Xoxo
    Doré

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly had it quite cozy! Thank you for stopping by my blog! :)

      Delete