Thursday, October 17, 2013

What amazed me about Christ today

I recently got a new book for my morning devotionals. It is from the personal reflection series by Beth Moore. If you are familiar with Beth Moore's studies you know they are in depth and amazing. The personal reflection series is a little less involved and doable for me while I drink my coffee in the morning.

I'm only a couple days into the book "John" from the series. This is one of her questions to consider for today.
When was the last time Christ amazed you? How did it come about? What did it change about your or someone else's circumstances? 

I was struggling a bit this morning as I thought about how to honestly answer that question. Have I really been paying attention to ways God is working or amazing me? The Fall season is a given. This is always the time of year I feel most renewed and refreshed. I see and enjoy God's handiwork everywhere and appreciate it so. But for some reason that just wasn't enough for me to fully answer the question. I felt more burdened and hitting a road block with the answer.

A big distraction looming over my head was a burden of loneliness and isolation of plain ol' exhaustion. Sometimes I give of myself as a wife, mother, friend, mentor, leader, neighbor and am just left feeling invisible. I know that no one person purposely tries to be unappreciative, I think that in our very busy lives and worlds it is very easy to overlook people and show genuine appreciation. (I myself am guilty of this and probably do it without knowing.) So this is what was heavy on my heart this morning as I sat in my quiet house with my coffee. Praying and asking God to fill me and encourage me and for Him to be my portion and fill my longings.

I finished my reading and questions and began my day. Rogan and I finished a craft project that was a birthday gift. After it was all done I took his picture with it and sent it to my friend who gifted it to him.


And then here's where God shows up...
She replied back with this text,  "You guys are such a blessing to me and my family! Here we were sitting around the table praying and waiting to hear on my husband's uncle because hey had to take him back into surgery this morning. And I get a text from you at the perfect time for the second time this week! God is so good and knows me all too well. Thank you!" 

Now if that doesn't encourage a burdened lonely heart then I don't know what will. Friends have told me thank you this week and showed their appreciation. But there was just something about this text that spoke the words I needed. It was plain as day that the things I'm doing DO matter and God IS using me to encourage and help people. 

It really doesn't matter what the words are or who they are from. What matters is I saw a glimpse of God saying "well done my child". 

That is enough to keep me going even if I am spiritually exhausted and tired. So back to Beth's question...

What amazed me about Christ today? 

How He used me to encourage someone despite my discouragement and in turn encouraged my heart with the very words of appreciation I needed to hear. True authentic words from a friend. And the Fall beauty, well that's just the icing on the top! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chels! Kim told me that you had started a blog and that I needed to stop by and say hi. Well, let me tell you....I'm so glad I did! You write so beautifully. So raw. So deep from within your heart. I am now a happy follower and am looking forward to getting to know you better. God bless you on your new journey!! ♥

    xoco laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie, Thank you for reading, and for your kind words! :)

      Delete