Sunday, May 4, 2014

It's about more than money and no rain.

I checked the weather forecast and our few days of warm sunny weather was coming to an end, the rain was on it's way just in time for my first outdoor show of the season. I must admit, my heart hasn't been into leather work since we started our house selling and buying journey. I've been a bit preoccupied with other things, one of them being our beloved 8 year old dog giving us a big scare earlier in the week that his time on earth had come to an end. (After a visit to the vet and some meds he seems to be on the mend.) Although, the emotional roller coaster left me a little drained and exhausted. 
So, Friday rolls around and I finish the last of my pricing and like always decided to make just one more cuff. Mike volunteered to come with me and help set up and tear down and give me breaks. I was kinda wishing I could be self sufficient and do it on my own, not wanting to take an entire day from my husband after he had just worked all week, and then on top of it the difficulty of dragging a 4 year old around with him all day!  It seemed like a lot to ask, but he was willing to help and support me, so I accepted. My Mom said she would be praying for my show and that the rain would hold off. 

Saturday morning came early like 5:30 am and that's just crazy for Rogan and I! There weren't many words being spoken and there was much coffee drinking taking place. We were on the road and only about 30 minutes into our long drive when Mike and I watched a car in the oncoming lane hit the curb, spin a full circle and then shoot across 4 lanes right toward us! It was slow motion and happening in a blink of an eye all in the same moment. All I could do was stare at this old boat of a car (you know, the kind with an 8' hood made of all metal, not a shred of plastic on it) coming straight for us, and fast! I'm not sure exactly what happened next other than, there was braking and accelerating and some good driving on Mike's part. Somehow we managed to get out of the way by inches. The car shot past us in our lane and finally came to a stop 100 yards behind us after doing another complete spin... Crazy!

Who needs coffee to wake you up when you have adrenaline pumping through your body before 6 am!? It was a near miss to say the least, a moment where all I could do was gasp for air to catch my breathe and thank God and Mike over and over for the rest of the drive. As the very long and eventful day finally came to an end, I reflected on the crazy week and day that was now behind me. I felt exhaustion, but so much gratitude and so much fulfillment. 

If there is one thing that this house journey is teaching me, it is to trust God All. The. Time. Also, to trust my husband, to pray with him and communicate my fears and dreams. When we are facing the unknown of where we will live, comforting each other over a sick pet and having the tar scared out of us with a near miss there is something special that happens, a deep connection that reminds me of this, We are on the same team!

We are brought together closer to God and closer to each other in the midst of the storm or the chaos. 

My heart is full not because I had an overly profitable show, or because we found the perfect house. But because I experienced God's hand of protection, and connectedness with my husband. No matter where we end up living we will be okay because we will be together, and for that I'm grateful. 

At the end of the day I messaged my Mom and thanked her for praying, maybe the prayers weren't answered quite like we had planned (for great sales and no rain) but they were answered just perfectly...

God knew better than all of us just what we needed to get us through the day (all of last week for that matter). 




Dinner out after our long day on Saturday


2 comments:

  1. Thank God you all are o.k and that Mike was with you that morning! Not saying you couldn't have steered clear of the oncoming Car yourself but he was there for a reason.I had this happen to Me long ago on the Highway once too and it is awaking for sure.Makes the lil things seem not so important.

    At least where ever you land you will all be together and it's only temporary.That does seem to help a lil.

    I adore you all and think your such a special Family.I wish you all the very best and may you be blessed greatly !

    I would love to see what you have left if you feel the urge to pull it all out again. :) Hugs !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words! I definitely feel like Mike reacted to the almost accident better than I would've ;) Also, my leather goods are spread out on the table for today at least if ya wanna take look.

      Delete